Monday, January 2, 2017

My music taste throught the times

Not sure how to start, but let’s take it chronological..
I’m 1994 kid and I was born in golden age of grunge. Kurt Cobain was freshly dead and his fame was rising even more thanks to this. I was born to  “underground” family, my father was famous hardcore bass player, my mum’s nickname was Patti Smith.
So that’s my start. I was raised in classic rock surroundings. When I was in uterus, my mum was listening Nirvana. The first music that I ever heard and even now, when I hear Nirvana, it’s for one hand too over-listened, but for another it’s still magical and usually when I sleep and dream about some music, it’s Nirvana.
Kid years are mostly about kids songs and what your parents listens. So basically they gave me great music basics. Patti Smith, Velvet Underground, The Doors, Alice in Chains, David Bowie, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Joan Jett, Jefferson Airplane, …
When I was like.. 10 years old, I started to really like some music, that showed me my parents and I also started with finding something new by myself.
I became a big fan on Pixies, PJ Harvey and System of a Down. Especially PJ Harvey, I also infected my cousin :D



When I was 12, we had almost the same music taste with my cousin, so we were exchanging music that we like and it was almost like some competition “who will find better music”. We found that the music we like is called “alternative” and “indie”.
I loved Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Arctic Monkeys, I remember that The XX was really unknown new band, The Kills and The Dead Weather, The Libertines and Pete Doherty…

Okay. I was 13-14, when I met metalhead guy and he was big inspiration for me. He was the only intelligent guy in my age that i knew. I was never metalhead, but at this period I found some awesome music that is connected with metal. Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, The Agonist, Deftones, more Serj Tankian..



Okay. Next. I was 15, dating 23 years old guy who liked “soft” music. I was still into all these old thing I was listening (when you start to like something, it’s all your life with you. You can’t throw away your “indie” period. It’s still with you.), but I was trying hard to find some music that we both can like. I also started to listen dark cabaret.
So the queen for me was Emilie Autumn, of course. Than Amanda Palmer, Birdeatsbaby, Nouvelle Vague, Vermilion Lies..

Soon I discovered Siouxsie and the Banshees. I was 16, maybe 17. And with Siouxsie, Bauhaus. My aunt was always listening Sisters of Mercy in car and I started to love it. I also remember listening Alien Sex Fiend, summer 2011, and my father who said “oh i was listening this when I was your age”. Joy Division. I was also more and more depressed and this music was just the right thing for me.



End of my first relationship. I was even more depressed, crying daily with Nick Cave’s music. I went to Finland for erasmus. Cure mania started. I tried to find some good post-punk and “goth” music. Cabaret Grey, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain, Killing Joke, Savages, Sex Gang Children, Silent Scream,..
I started to be happy about this new “genre” i found for myself and my parents never told me about it /and they knew many of these bands!/ It was like… patch for my bleeding. I started to look ahead for my life.
I dated the sexiest punk boy from my city and I was so proud of it. We were listening punk mostly, but we both liked also post-punk and goth music. Again it was like competition - who will find better music. It was awesome period, but we were too stupid and like.. .”proud punk pair” that was together just thanks to alcohol. So we broke up. It gave me great music to listen! Misfits, I studied classical punk bands, also Tom Waits, Christian Death, Black Flag…
Okay. Than the short period with jazz lover. We were listening Nick Cave together and Morphine.



Again - too much alcohol in relationship.
Even shorter period of dating with awesome and sexy goth guy, but we started to date sooner then we could really know each others and i have to say that this person is great friend but I need a totally different kind of man. But he showed me some awesome bands and also he showed me how to “find” goth concert in czech republic and that’s it’s not so weird to visit them.
I'm listening Belgrado, Masquerade and Skeletal Family thanks to him.
Okay. I was 18 and my music taste was almost where it is right now. I was trying to find something calm but dark at she same time. Crystal Stilts, AKACOD, White Fence, Thee Oh Sees. Sonic Youth times. Something between alternative, dark atmosphere and jazzy sounds.
I started to date my current boyfriend when I was 19. I was listening my “dark” music, but he showed me jazz and I liked it. Typical Miles Davis.  Lou Donaldson, Herbie Hancock, Lonnie Smith. Than also calm music as Air, Can,..
But I was tired of all these stupidly “happy” sounds and I showed some of my music to my BF.
We together started to like more electronic music. I like electronic sounds in cold wave music, he is more into normal electro or techno.
Today I like dark electronic music. I like typical old rock legends. I like old goth legends. But now I’m examining cold wave and dark wave and I'm not so much into deathrock as I was.
So now… it’s all about Lebanon Hanover, Xmal Deutschland, She Past Away, Linea Aspera, Pleasure Symbols, Absolute Body Control, Beta Evers, The Soft Moon, Gazelle Twin, Haus Arafna, etc.




But still… you can’t throw away your old times. So sometimes I just need to listen something that I was listening while my punk period or indie period or metal period… :)
And I have to say THANK YOU to everyone who influenced me.


Have a nice day, 
N.  

No comments:

Post a Comment